Is Surface SIMS an acceptable alternative to TXRF?

Eric Perozziello eap at gloworm.Stanford.EDU
Thu Jan 5 18:55:12 PST 2006

Hi All,

Happy New year!

I have a request from a company that would like to
etch some samples here.  I spoke briefly with Ed and Jim
last year, and they suggested that we'd need to get TXRF
done.   The film is a SiN layer deposited outside of SNF.

The issue is that Evans claims they cannot do TXRF on a
sample this small (~1 cm), and suggested surface (TOF) SIMS
to them.

The question is, would this analysis technique be ok
for the qualification (IE:  would it be treated the same
as TXRF for SpecMAt purposes)?

Thanks,
-Eric