poly(dimethylsiloxane)

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 9 13:32:16 PST 2006

Hi Colin --

Sorry, I've been meaning to post this info on our website for quite some
time...  We generally do allow Dow Corning Sylgard 182 and 184 into the
lab, provided the polymer is mixed and degassed outside the lab.  We
don't allow uncured monomer into the lab because it acts like silicon
oil and a spill or mess could potentially cause resist lifting problems
throughout the lab.  Other silicone elastomers have been approved as
well, but we still do ask that the MSDS and information about each new
formulation be submitted to SpecMat so that we can keep a record of
this.  Sygard PDMS can be spun up on the headway2 coater (no other,
right now) and cured on adjacent hot plates or ovens.  Cured PDMS can
processed in gold-contaminated equipment (you can coat with resist or
metals and dry or wet etch).  Sylgard PDMS contains Pt catalyst, I
believe (the elastomer you are using may be different.)

We generally really don't like having TCE in the lab and try to
discourage its use.  If you have an alternative solvent you could use,
it would make us feel better.  Most people seem to use toluene to dilute
Sylgard PDMS, up to 50% w/w.  Like TCE, toluene is a suspected
carcinogen, so it's not good stuff, but the maximum recommended OSHA
exposure levels are about 2X those of TCE...

So...  Let us know which formulation you are using.  If Sylgard 182 or
184, then it's already approved as per the description you have
provided.  If not, then please provide us with a description and MSDS.
If you choose to spin coat your PDMS here, please note that toluene has
been approved for this purpose, but TCE has not.  If you wish to use TCE
or other solvent, please do write SpecMat back again with your request.

If you'd like to mix up and degas your PDMS, we have a little area
outside the lab to do this.  Let me know if you would like to use this
and I can show you what we've got.

Thanks!

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu