new chemical: silver nitrate in water

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 13 17:02:01 PST 2006

Hi Alex --

Could you provide the MSDS for the formulation you plan to use?  I take
that you will be using a pre-mix formulation?  (We don't allow mixing of
powders in the cleanroom -- it you want to mix, you would have to do it
outside the lab -- we do have some limited bench space for this, for
we'd ask for your procedures.)  If you are using a fairly dilute silver
nitrate, it would certainly make us happier (in addition to you
providing your own labware.)

One suggestion:  I would suspect that pyrex or quartz lab ware might not
work for this because it would tie up a lot of your HF (or you'd have to
change your solution to accomodate.)  I would suspect that teflon or
other plastic labware might not be ideal because it doesn't conduct heat
very well, so you might have a hard time controlling temperature
(depending on whether your reaction generates or sucks up heat.)  And if
you're running for an hour at 50C, you might have a lot of evaporation,
unless you put a teflon cover over your beaker.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu