nanoparticles

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 26 17:10:17 PST 2006

Hi everyone --

I think I'm a bit concerned about allowing nanoparticle suspensions in
the litho area.  I really have no data, but it seems to me that when you
spin coat a material, you get an aerosol dispersion from the edges.  So,
it seems to me that you'd probably get floating bits of nanoparticles in
the area.  These particles are likely to stick really, really well to a
surface, once they hit.  Therefore, I don't think I could in good
conscience recommend allowing this -- particularly when it appears that
there is no compelling reason to do this in the litho area.

I understand Mahnaz has a spare little laurel spin coater -- maybe we
could set this up in another area of the lab (outside the lab?) for
nanoparticle work?  Along with a programmable hot plate?

Again, I have no data -- just this gut feeling that this wouldn't be a
good idea.  I guess this is based on once working in a lab where we made
nanoparticles out of biopolymers and polymers -- these used to get
everywhere and stick to everything -- not that you could see them, but
you'd see them in the test results, due to cross-contamination.
Granted, working in a filtered laminar flow hood improved things, but it
appeared to be largely depending on whether the researcher had "good
hands".  Somehow, I'd feel better if any processes we approved weren't
quite so dependent on one's good lab technique...

I think after the wafer has been spun dry and then baked dry, that the
nanoparticles aren't likely to come off with anything short of a metal
etch or RCA clean and that subsequent processing in innotec or metalica
wouldn't be a problem.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu