New Chemical Request: Perfluorooctyl-trichloro-silane

Neville Mehenti nmehenti at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 27 17:04:01 PST 2006

Hello,
I would like to make a request to bring a new chemical into the cleanroom
for use in a process.
Below this email is the requested information for this new chemical
request, as outlined on the SNF website.
Please let me know if there is a problem or if you would like any more
information.
Thanks very much and hope to hear from you soon.
Regards,
Neville

1.  Name: Neville Mehenti; Coral: mehenti; Tel: (650)723-1669; Email:
nmehenti at stanford.edu, PI: Prof. Stacey F. Bent

2.  Full Name: 1H,1H,2H,2H-Perfluorooctyl-trichloro-silane (CAS 78560-45-9)
The MSDS is attached with this email as a pdf file.

3.  Manufacturer:  Sigma-Aldrich
3050 Spruce Street, St. Louis, MO 63103; Tel: 314.771.5765; Website:
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/

4.  The reason I am requesting to bring this material into the lab is
because I am looking to spin thin (10-20 microns) silicone membranes on a
silicon-photoresist mold, and then peel them off to serve as components for
microfluidic devices.  I have been using polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) as the
membrane material, but the membranes are not strong enough to resist
tearing or stretching upon removal from the mold.  I have found that
treatment of these molds by exposing them to this requested chemical under
vacuum allows for easier release of the membrane from the mold with minimal
stretching.  By silanizing the silicon-photoresist mold with this chemical,
the surface of the mold is effectively "teflonized," thus preventing any
strong interaction between the PDMS and the mold.  I would prefer to do
this process at the fab so that my molds remain in a clean environment
(since I have had particulate problems when silanizing in my normal lab and
this creates several problems with the resulting membranes).

5.  I plan on using this chemical only in the desiccator above the
Headway.  I will place my silicon photoresist molds along with a small
volume (~100 microliters) of the chemical in the desiccator and pull house
vacuum on it for one hour, thus forming silane vapor which will
subsequently react to the native oxide on the mold.  I will then spin PDMS
on these molds using the Headway, and they will then require no further
processing within SNF.

6.  For each time I silanize my molds, I will be using ~100 microliters of
this chemical, which is in liquid form.  Only a small fraction of this
volume will be vaporized to properly silanize the surface of my molds.

7.  I will carefully bring in the appropriate volume (~100 microliters) of
the chemical into SNF each time I need to use it.  The chemical will be
stored in a labelled 1-ml glass vial, and will be brought in within a
larger vial as a secondary container.  When placed in the desiccator, I
will remove the cap from the vial and place the vial in one of my beakers
(in order to stabilize the vial from falling due to a bump or rapid
pressure changes).

8.  After the silanization process, I will put the cap back on the vial,
and place this vial back in the secondary container.  These vials will be
removed from the fab and I will dispose of it properly within my regular
lab as hazardous waste.