HF vapor etch at wbgeneral

Nahid Harjee nharjee at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 28 00:06:34 PDT 2006

SpecMat committee,

I am a member of a design team in the ME 342 class. Our team is attempting
to fabricate a MEMS sensor for measuring nanoNewton forces exerted by
various biological specimens. The device is formed by spinning and
patterning successive layers of SU-8 photoresist on a Quartz wafer. Near the
end of our process flow, we would like to use HF vapor to isotropically etch
the Quartz substrate through lithographically-defined vents,
thereby releasing the SU-8 structure. We anticipate that this could be
performed by inverting our wafer over a beaker of HF vapor at wbgeneral. HF
vapor is preferable to an HF bath for our application as we believe it will
mitigate stiction and attack of the SU-8 mask.

We have heard that HF vapor has already been approved in SNF and a procedure
exists for its use. If so, we would like a copy of the procedure and
permission to use it. If not, we would like to work with you to develop a
procedure that is effective and safe. To assist in this regard, we can
supply a detailed runsheet and process schematics.

Thanks in advance for your help. We look forward to your response.

nh

--
Nahid Harjee
Ph.D. Candidate