[Fwd: Using HBr]

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 20 10:02:01 PST 2006

Hi Pradeep, Shabbir --

Please provide info to SpecMat as per
http://snf.stanford.edu/Materials/NewMatProc.html

I should warn you that there is a rather high barrier for bringing in
HBr.  We'll need to know what chemical mixture you plan to use -- the
concentration of HBr you wish to bring and how you are going to mix it
for your etch.  From what I understand, if you mix just pour HBr with an
oxidizing acid, you get Br2 gas -- there is an art to mixing the
chemicals together.  If you have your own procedure that you are
experienced with, please provide details about this.  If not, we also
have a procedure from John Choi which has been demonstrated to be safe
for etching InP, although don't know if this would meet your specific
process needs.  By the way, this was done only at wbgaas and all waste
was collected locally.

So, please provide more details about your etch and MSDS info on the
chemicals you wish to bring in.  It would be best if you could use
dilute rather than concentrated solutions as starting materials.

mtang at stanford.edu