wayside

Gideon Greenwood xpcal at energyvest.com
Tue Sep 5 03:27:32 PDT 2006

Gar Nal, Ur Jan, Jat Or, and I raised our hands to swear. GarNal might have been anywhere from a hundred to a thousand years old. It lies in the sky, far above the castle.
The two men that you last described abducted a princess of thereigning house of my country. I shall be honored by the friendship of the Jeddara, Ozara, I said.
You have read them accurately, Jeddara, I told her.
Do you know what became of the other ship? Each day, near noon, our single meal was served to us.
I think I know how we may escape, I said, if you will help us.
They are neither invisible nor inaudible to me, I replied. There are about a thousand of them altogether, men, women, andchildren.
He could scarcely keep his eyes from her, and you willrecall that her life was spared.
It never quite succeeded, however, asmy cell-mate always withdrew his finger in time. That is one reason why you have not been destroyed before. I should like very much to see them, I told him.
And you, she continued; you are a great man in your own world. Haveyou been making any efforts along these lines? You know that the castle isfull of them, because I have told you so.
The food in the bowl set before me was a mixture of vegetables, fruit,and meat.
Yes, of course, I think of them; but what has that to do with it? Ur Jans expression revealed his surprise when his eyes fell upon me. With the other man and the girl, I pursued them inanother ship. He could scarcely keep his eyes from her, and you willrecall that her life was spared.
Believe that you will succeed, and you will have a very muchgreater chance for success. I cannot go unless all my people go with me. After this he playedwith it, pawing it around. The former was, like most Martians, of indeterminate age.
We must silence them; wedid not bring them here to listen to them.
You have read them accurately, Jeddara, I told her.