Material request: ZnS

Fri Sep 8 06:11:53 PDT 2006

Hi Ben,

I need to correct what I said about etching ZnCdS in the MRC. I contacted
the user whom I thought had etched this material. She informed me that
none of her devices required etching of the ZnCdS. Regarding our photronic
device people. Some years ago, one of them approached me about plasma
etching ZnSe or ZnSSe. At the time, I looked into the issue and found out
about the methane process, which we were not set up to do. Later, I learn
from James Conway that they went to UCSB to etch their material. Last
March at an etch workshop, I met the guy who is in charge of the UCSB
etchers. He said the methane process is set up in a RIE tool and is mainly
used for InP related materials. I did not ask him about the Zn compounds.
There are a number of papers in the literature about the methane process.
It can be used for ZnTe, ZnSe, CdTe, ZnS, CdS in addition to the In
compounds.

	Jim

Stanford University             	jmcvittie at stanford.edu