ITO (Indium Tin Oxide) sputtering target to be used with Metalica.

Ying Chen mihuhou at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 11 14:05:32 PDT 2006

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to submit a request to use ITO (Indium Tin Oxide) in Metalica.

My contact information:
Name: Ying Chen
Coral login: mihuhou
Phone number: (650) 725-0417 (office), (650)497-6133 (home)
Email address: mihuhou at stanford.edu
My PI: Yoshio Nishi

The chemical or material:
Common name: ITO (Indium Tin Oxide), In2O3 - SnO2
Tradename: N/A
CAS numbers: Mix of  90% Indium Oxide CAS# 1312-43-2 and 10% Tin Oxide CAS# 18282-10-5
MSDS: Please see the attachment.
Storage Group Identifier: Store in cool, dry conditions in well sealed containers. No spectial requirements.
Main Hazard Class: 39

Vendor/manufacturer info:
Manufacturer name: Alfa Aesar, A Johnson Matthey Company
Department: Johnson Matthey Catalog Company, Inc. Health, Safety and Environmental Department
Address: 30 Bond Street, Ward Hill MA 01835-8099
Email: www.alfa.com
Emergency Phone: (978) 521-6300

Reason for request:
I need to deposit 300nm~500nm thick ITO to my sample by DC sputtering.

Process Flow:
The ITO sputtering target was designed for and will be used with Metalica, with the same process those metal targets commonly used. 1% of oxygen might be used along with the usual argon during the sputtering. Jim McVittie will help me to activate the oxygen line of  Metalica.

Amount and form:
The size of the ITO target is the same as those other targets used in Metalica. It's solid. No further mixing.

Storage:
I won't store the ITO target in SNF.

Disposal:
This material and its container will be disposed of as hazardous waste following the disposal procedure of "disposal of corrosive and other chemically contaminated solid waste" as described in "Part II: Laboratory Safety Laboratory Safety Manual".

Please Let me know if you need any more information!

Thank you!

Regards,
Ying Chen