poly(ethylene oxide-b-methylmethacrylate-b-sytrene)

Marissa Anne Caldwell macaldwe at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 26 13:45:01 PDT 2006

Hi - To whom it may concern on the SNF Specmat Committee,

1) Contact Info: Marissa Caldwell Coral Login: macaldwe Phone: 650 776-9808
Email: macaldwe at stanford.edu PI: H.-S. Phillip Wong (Stanford University,
Dept of Electrical Engineering.

2)Name: Poly(ethylene oxide-b-methylmethacrylate-b-styrene) aka: PEO-PMMA-PS
triblock copolymer
The polymer would be used as a 1% by weight toluene solution.
No MSDS is available for the copolymer as it has only recently been
synthesized. The MSDS for each monomer is attached. Accordingly, the
copolymer does not have a CAS number.
The storage class is L with a hazard class 6 (flammable), because the
solution is primarily toluene. The pure polymer itself does not require any
special handling, and it should be emphasised that we are using a very
dilute 1% solution.

3)Synthesis is completed by Prof. Craig Hawker's lab at the University of
California - Santa Barbara (UCSB). Their group webpage, including contact
information, can be found at
http://www.chem.ucsb.edu/people/faculty/hawker/index.shtml. His Phone
number is (805) 893-7161 (-7233).

4) We would like to bring this polymer in because it has shown superior
self-assembly properties than our current polymer in SNF. We are currently
using the PS-PMMA system in SNF, but Prof. Hawker's lab has recently
synthesized the PEO-PMMA-PS system and demonstrated that it self-assembles
with fewer grain boundaries/defects and better long distance ordering. We
have been fighting with the PS-PMMA system on both of these characteristics
as they are vital to our device. His group has not yet published their
findings.

5) The process flow is identical to how we are currently using the related
PS-PMMA copolymer system. Beginning with a wafer which may have been
processed using conventional techniques and materials, use HEADWAY to
manually spin coat on the polymer solution. Then use the BLUE M oven to
anneal and WBGENERAL for the acetic acid development. None of the
instruments (HEADWAY, BLUE M, WBGENERAL) are clean tools.

6) We would bring in mL amounts of solution (~10-30mL), of which only 1% by
weight is polymer. The rest is toluene, which is already present in the
lab.  The polymer itself is a powder, but we would pre-dissolve it into the
toluene solution prior to bringing it into the lab.

7) It is able to be stored in the yellow flammable cabinets in the back
maintence area, where we currently store the related polymer system.

8) Since we are only using the solution to spin coat thin films, there would
not be a lot of disposal. The contaminated solids can be disposed of using
conventional means (ziplock bags, etc). If there is any excess solution, it
can be disposed of in the solvent carboy as the polymer itself is unreactive
with solvents and the solution is primarily (99%) solvent.

Thank you for your consideration. Please don't hesistate to contact me with
further concerns/questions.

~Marissa Caldwell