New Project: Bolometer Arrays for Cosmological Research, New Material: Niobium

Kam Arnold karnold at berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 28 16:10:40 PDT 2006

Ed, Jim, and Nancy -

This is Kam Arnold from the UC Berkeley Physics Department. This is in
regard to the new project (Bolometer Arrays for Cosmological Research) that
we are starting at the SNF. I have CC'd SpecMat on this email, as I would
like to bring in the special material niobium.

I have attached several documents to this email:
  1. processOverview.pdf  -  A memo I wrote as an overview of our process,
and to address the requirements of the special materials procedure.
  2. MSDSni.pdf  -  A web-based MSDS I found for niobium
  3. NbTargetData.pdf  -  The manufacturer's target data specifically for
the target from which my niobium will be deposited.

I would like to ask: In which machine might I deposit 1.5 microns of gold?
Is there an E-beam or DC sputtering machine that allows liftoff? And what is
the machine name of the metal evaporator - I could not find it on the
website.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,
-KAM