GaN as a clean material?

Wed Aug 1 16:42:48 PDT 2007

Mary,

We should talk to some of the Harris students. I am sure they have
experience working with GaN. I expect it will behave similar to sapphire.
In the STS etcher the issue will be the sputter etch rate when the plasma
contacts directly contacts it. I expect sputter rate to be pretty low. In
epi the issue is how much does it discompose in H2 at the epi temperature.

	Jim

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Mary Tang wrote:

> Hi all --
>
> Three engineers from Alpha & Omega Semiconductor would like to join the
> lab.  They would like to use silicon substrates with a thin layer (3-5
> microns) of GaN in clean tools in the lab (stsetch and epi).  I believe
> they plan to get these substrates from Honeywell.  What do you all think?
>
> Mary

Jim McVittie, Ph.D.    			Senior Research Scientist
Allen Center for Integrated Systems     Electrical Engineering
Stanford University             	jmcvittie at stanford.edu
Rm. 336, 330 Serra Mall			Fax: (650) 723-4659
Stanford, CA 94305-4075			Tel: (650) 725-3640