Proposal for non-standard process in stsetch

Wed Aug 15 22:53:47 PDT 2007

Hi,

A few years back, a number of experiments were done to see if we could
bury Au so that a Au contaminated wafer could be etched in the STS without
exposing the plasma or the chuck to Au. At that time, all the attempts
failed. We always detected Au on the surface.  Part of the problem is that
resist always picks up Au from the etch solution and then deposits it back
on the wafer when the resist is stripped.

	Jim

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Nahid Harjee wrote:

> SpecMat Committee,
>
> I am working with SOI wafers to build piezoresistive cantilevers. The
> interconnect on the cantilevers is a Cr/Au stack. To release the
> cantilevers, I am seeking permission to use stsetch to etch through the
> handle layer to the buried oxide, provided that the Cr/Au is fully
> encapsulated and is never exposed to the plasma. Below is the material stack
> I propose:
>
> Plasma (SF6/C4F8)
>
> Resist (7 um, patterned)
> Si (530 um handle layer)
> SiO2 (1 um buried oxide)
> Si (6 um device layer, patterned into cantilevers)
> SiO2 (100 nm)
> Cr (10 nm)
> Au (100 nm)
> Resist (15 um, unpatterned)
> Aluminum holder
>
> He cooling
>
> I believe that this process has been approved by SpecMat in the past. Please
> let me know if you have any questions/comments or would like more details
> about my process. I look forward to your response.
>
> Thanks,
>
> nh

Jim McVittie, Ph.D.    			Senior Research Scientist
Allen Center for Integrated Systems     Electrical Engineering
Stanford University             	jmcvittie at stanford.edu
Rm. 336, 330 Serra Mall			Fax: (650) 723-4659
Stanford, CA 94305-4075			Tel: (650) 725-3640