Proposal for non-standard process in stsetch

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 16 08:26:07 PDT 2007

Hi Jim, et al --

Yes, I remember you mentioning these experiments...  (By the way, would
you still happen to have this data and be willing to share it?  It seems
to me that there was an awful lot of really useful information in it
about etching, furnaces, and cleans.)

Regarding Nahid's request....  as I vaguely recall from the last time
this came up (pre-Beth Pruitt) the policy was to allow gold in the
stsetch provided:

1.  If the gold was patterned that it had been done by lift-off rather
than etching
2.  No gold exposed to plasma -- that it was completely covered with resist.

The rationale was that gold is pretty inert in its noble metal state,
but that contamination becomes an issue once wet etching is done and
gold appears in various oxidation states which are soluble (and appear
all over the wafer).  It was agreed not to support Beth's request for Au
in stsetch when she was a grad student because the above two conditions
were not met, so she went to UCSB.  I seem to recall (perhaps
incorrectly) that the TXRF experiments were done on wafers in which the
gold had been patterned using KI etchant, which would leave soluble gold
atoms on the wafer surfaces to examine the worst case scenario of gold
in stsetch....  Nahid is proposing to cover unpatterned gold present on
the backside of the wafers with resist -- and to use the holder.  It
would seem that the cross-contamination risk should be low....

My two cents'

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu