Fwd: Re: Special Request for very limited presence of BISMUTH

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 22 10:32:42 PDT 2007

All,

I've had a couple of discussion with Betty regarding this request.  I
would like to get your feedback on how best to approach this problem.

There are open patches of Bi deposited on the backside of the
wafer.  Betty wants to do a through wafer etch stopping on
nitride.  The Bi will not be exposed to the plasma, but will be
exposed to the backside cooling gas.  From a contact contamination
point of view, they will be suppling their own carrier chuck.  The
concern I have is Bismuths is below our vapor pressure
cut-off.  Using this standard, we would not readily let the samples
in our gold contaminated equipment set.

What are your opinions?  Would a layer of photoresist be sufficient
to protect the Bi from sublimation?

Ed