APTES

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 22 17:23:29 PDT 2007

Hi Makoto --

This is already an approved chemical for wbsolvent.  If you store it in
the lab, it should be kept in the small Flammables cabinet, in the
personal chemicals bin.  Please see Mahnaz or Ed about getting a yellow
label for your chemical.  The standard procedures for using this
chemical are dilution in solvent at wbsolvent and soaking or dipping
your sample at room temperature.  If there are changes to this procedure
(such as heating the solution) let us know.

The only safety concern is the solvent that you will be using for
diluting this chemical.  If it is one of the standard chemicals
(isopropanol, ethanol, or methanol) and you are using dilute solutions
(less than 5% APTES) then it is OK to dispose of the waste in the
solvent carboy.  If you are using any other non-standard solvents (such
as toluene), please let us know so we can discuss disposal of waste.

The other possible concern is contamination, since any glassware or
labware you use will become coated with this material.  Please use your
own glassware and labware.

If you need any protocols or procedures for use of this material, let us
know as we have some materials.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu