plasma ashing of plastic

Tue Feb 13 13:39:41 PST 2007

Mary,

I am not too keen on doing package decapsulation in our etch tools. I
would expect Exponent Failure Analysis Associates to have dedicated
decapsulation tools for this purpose. What can't he use his own tools for
this operation or go back to where the initial decapsulation was done. We
are in the wafer business not in the package business.

	Jim

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Mary Tang wrote:

> Hi Jason --
>
> I'm forwarding your request to SpecMat, just to be sure.  I'm sure
> someone else has tried to clean packaged parts, but am not sure drytek4
> is the best option...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mary
>
> Jason Fu wrote:
> > Hi, Jeannie,
> > I have a partially packaged (partially decapsulated) chip with some
> > molding material (glass filler epoxy) debris on the top of the chip.
> > I am wondering if I am allowed to use Dretek 4 for plasma ashing and
> > clean the chip surface.
> > Thanks,
> > Jason
> >
> > Junxian (Jason) Fu, PhD
> > Senior Engineer, Electrical and Semiconductors Practice
> > Exponent Failure Analysis Associates, Inc.
> > 149 Commonwealth Drive
> > Menlo Park, CA 94025
> > jfu at exponent.com <mailto:jfu at exponent.com>
> > (Office) 650-688-6911
> > (Mobile) 650-305-9140
> >

> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission (and the attachments
> > accompanying it) may contain confidential information belonging to the
> > sender which is protected by the attorney-client privilege. The
> > information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If
> > you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> > disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in
> > reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
> > Any unauthorized interception of this transmission is illegal under
> > the law. If you have received this transmission in error, please
> > promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all
> > copies of the transmission.

Jim McVittie, Ph.D.    			Senior Research Scientist
Allen Center for Integrated Systems     Electrical Engineering
Stanford University             	jmcvittie at stanford.edu
Rm. 336, 330 Serra Mall			Fax: (650) 723-4659
Stanford, CA 94305-4075			Tel: (650) 725-3640