Using Unity 4411 in snf

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 18 16:49:42 PST 2007

Hi all --

I don't think the Blue M goes that high (I think Mahnaz says it maxes
out around 375 C).  And I seriously doubt there is less than 1 ppm of O2
in there.  Basically, what he wants to do at +400 C is pyrolysis (I
think).  I think this may require a properly purged quartz muffle
furnace.  (The BlueM is purged with house N2, but also has enormous
surface area inside (that foam-like ceramic interior) so I'm sure
there's lots of O2 in there.)

Would this be acceptable to run in fga2, by any chance?  (I didn't think
tylan4 would be acceptable...)

If not, I think there may be another furnace on campus somewhere, maybe
in the RPL -- somewhere where they do sintering of ceramics...  What do
you all think?

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu