[Fwd: Re: use of polystyrene nanospheres in SNF]

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 3 16:47:53 PDT 2007

Hi again --

My suggestion is to OK this with the following stipulations:

1.  The polystyrene beads may be spun up only at the headway2.
2.  No lab glassware may be used (if ever required) -- users should
bring their own and take it away.  (Don't want to risk having beads
transfer to other people's work.)
3.  Only polystyrene beads -- no nanoparticles of any other origin is
being approved in this request.  (In fact, metal nanoparticles are
banned from the lab unless they are adhered onto substrates.)
4.  There should be a hot plate step to remove excess solvent/water.
5.  Instead of a sonication step (lots of opportunity to spread
particles around wbsolvent) use an acetone liftoff to remove both
polystyrene particles and the resist (Tracy thought this should be OK
for her process.)
6.  They take the beads away with them.  Best not to have them stored in
our lab -- too many opportunities for creative thinking....

What do you all think?

mtang at stanford.edu