Lead Sulfide

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 1 17:41:34 PDT 2007

Hi all --

Rick Clayton is with a company that will be working with Jim Kruger to
try to process lead sulfide.  As I understand the scope:

1.  They propose to spin coat their lead sulfide nanoparticles in our
utility room, using the solvent hood there.  The chemicals consist of
lead sulfide particulate which is suspended in a variety of solvents, as
indicated on their original SpecMat request.  They plan to either use
the laurell coater there or they may acquire another -- and will allow
other labmembers to use if this is the case.  I think that with the
possible exception of chloroform, the solvents are fine.  Even
chloroform would be OK, with limited use.

2.  They plan to etch lead sulfide in the MRC.  They would like to etch
in the pquest using CHF4/H2 plasma, but would be satisfied with Ar
sputtering in the MRC.  They plan to etch a number of wafers with lead
sulfide thicknesses on the order of 400 nm.   Jim proposes to either
cover exposed areas of the MRC with a high temperature inert plastic
(such mylar) or acquire dedicated tooling which would be removed with
each use.

Lead sulfide has very low vapor pressure and is insoluble in water.

The would like to also do some additional processing (involving
lithography) but want to limit the scope of this request to these two steps.

Rick Clayton has joined the lab and would like to start working with Jim
this month.  He is waiting for our approval.  What do you all say?

mtang at stanford.edu