Polyethylene Glycol (PEG).

Ying Chen mihuhou at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 1 21:26:23 PDT 2007

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to submit a request to use polyethylene glycol (PEG) 8000 in Headway2 and solvent bench.

My contact information:
Name: Ying Chen
Coral login: mihuhou
Phone number: (650) 725-0417 (office), (650)497-6133 (home)
Email address: mihuhou at stanford.edu
My PI: Yoshio Nishi

The chemical or material:
Common name: Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
Tradename: Fisher Chemical
CAS numbers: 25322-68-3
MSDS: Please see the attachment.
Storage Group Identifier: G (No special precautions indicated. Store at room temperature. )
Main Hazard Class: Not regulated as a hazardous material (US DOT)

Vendor/manufacturer info:
Manufacturer name: Fisher Scientific
Address: 1 Reagent Lane, Fair Lawn, NJ 07410
For information, call: 201-796-7100
Emergency Number: 201-796-7100
For CHEMTREC assistance, call: 800-424-9300
For International CHEMTREC assistance, call: 703-527-3887

Reason for request:
I plan to use a polyethylene glycol (PEG) and water mixture to disperse the polystyrene submicron spheres in the hope that the spin coated spheres would be more evenly distrubuted instead of clustering together.

Process Flow:
(1) Outside of SNF: The Polyethylene glycol (PEG) is mixed in different ratios with water (with the polystyrene submicron spheres already inside) to achieve different viscosities. (2) Outside of SNF: The mixture is ultrasonically agitated to disperse the spheres. (3) In SNF: The agitated mixture is spin coated on a Si wafer in headway2. (4) In SNF: The coated wafer is dried on the hot plates on the headway2 bench.

Amount and form:
I can bring in either PEG powder or PEG/water mixture depending on which one is more welcome by SpecMat. If in powder form, it should be no more than 1g. If in water mixture form, a few mls of it would most possibly be needed.

Storage:
I won't store the PEG in SNF.

Disposal:
Since PEG is not considered hazardous by US DOT, the most concern is about the polystyrene submicron spheres. There have been personnels in SNF using this kind of spheres, e.g., nanoimprint people and a student Jason Parker. I will dispose the material according to their processes.

Please Let me know if you need any more information!

Thank you!

Regards,
Ying Chen