Initial discussion on working with SNF for processing PbS

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 7 11:26:29 PST 2007

Rick,

Sorry for the delay in providing you with the final decision on your
request.  Our aim is to support all of the processing needs of our
lab members, however some are more challenging than
others.  Unfortunately, yours is a challenging one.  I believe we are
OK with the spin casting, outside of using Chloroform.  The other
listed solvents we can devise a protocol for safe handling of the materials.

The biggest concern is the etching of PbS.  Our MRC system is a
diffusion pumped system and we have to be conscience of what elements
that can be picked up in the oil.  This is a safety issue for staff
who will be servicing the tool.  The protocol for etching of the PbS
needs to be established.  This will include how to do routine service
the tool and how to minimize any Pb deposition on the tool during
processing.  This will take a longer to resolve and require help from
whoever is doing your processing.

The proposed process outline is too vague to accept in full.  It will
be important to work with the SNF staff as you continue to refine
your process.  For example lead has a tendency to volatilize, so
thermal processing will need to be addressed, including your
encapsulation step.

Regards,
Ed Myers