chemical approval

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 14 13:59:30 PST 2007

Hi all --

I agree, we should not allow VM-651 if we cannot be told what it is.  I
suspect, however, that it's a CYA sort of approach that HD Micro is
taking.

1-methoxy-2-propanol is a propylene glycol ether similar to PGMEA
(propylene glycol monomethyl ether acetate -- same as the previous, but
with the acetate group added.)  Both are considered "safe" alternatives
to the older ethylene glycol ethers linked to reproductive problems in
the semiconductor industry.  PGMEA is the dominant solvent (along with
ethyl lactate) for resist and polymer products..  Well, unless it's
NMP.  The PEL of 1-methoxy-2-propanol is 100 ppm.  The TWA of PGMEA is
100 ppm.  So, I think VM-652 is OK.

By the way, Kevin O'Sullivan (tdo) and Matthew Buynowski from Nanosys
(working with ericp and jsuarez) also requested polyimides and adhesion
promoters from HD Micro.  Matt asks for PI2610 and VM652.  Kevin asks
for PI2525.  It would be worth getting these people to talk with each other.

Also, I think there are enough requests that we ought to post a generic
recommended process on the web (maybe in the litho processes section.)
In general, Mahnaz and I propose the following:

*********************
1.  Spin coating only on headway2.  Fresh polyimide can be cleaned up
with NMP or excess acetone.  Spin chuck and parts should be cleaned up
as soon as possible after coating.  Personal or dedicated wafer handling
tools must be used (do NOT used the general, shared litho cassettes.)

2.  If photosensitive polyimide is used, it must be manually developed.
Polyimide exposure is not approved (yet) for the steppers.

3.  Blue M oven can be used for controlled curing of the resin.  Do NOT
use the singe or YES ovens.  A hot plate bake of about 5 minutes is
recommended prior to placing in the Blue M if only to drive off excess
solvent.  Do not use the hot plates for curing resins at temperatures
above 200C.

4.  Only cured polyimide is allowed in tools in the white area of the
lab.  A specmat request must be submitted to process wafers with cured
polyimide in tools other than gold-contaminated equipment.

Any suggestions, changes, comments?

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu