material approval

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 26 17:34:01 PST 2007

Hi Dien --

I believe I mentioned this in my previous note, but perhaps wasn't as
clear as I ought to have been. I may be mistaken, but I gather these are
positive tone resins -- meaning that these are monomers, not a polymer
like PMMA, which is negative tone. PMMA is safe to use in the lab
because its solvent (usually anisole) is mostly removed during the soft
bake and as a polymer, it does not have significant vapors. If these
materials are monomers, then I suspect they are of lower molecular
weight and may be quite volatile. That is, after you spin coat and
before you fully cure them, they will continue to outgas. Acrylate
monomers are considered harmful to inhale and typically have PEL limits
on the order of 10 ppm. I don't know if this is the case for the
materials you have, but for SNF, chemicals with a PEL of 10 ppm must
remain under fully ventilated benches or equipment at all times. As it
turns out, you would have to transport your wafers from the spin coater,
which is ventilated, to the aligner, which is not. Understand that we're
learning about this, from our experience with positive tone, uv-curable
nanoimprint resists.

If your materials are of low volatility, then please ask the
manufacturer to provide this information. Or, if you have a procedure
that includes some sort of soft bake after spin coating, yet before you
move them to the aligner, this would be appreciated. We just want to
make sure that no volatiles will be released into the breathing air
zones while your processing is taking place.

mtang at stanford.edu