Initial discussion on working with SNF for processing PbS

Rick Clayton rick.clayton at invisageinc.com
Fri Oct 12 13:25:20 PDT 2007

Hello;
My name is Rick Clayton, and I am VP of Advanced Materials for InVisage Technologies, an early stage (still stealth mode) technology company working on advanced electronics.
We wish to do work within the SNF, and I want to start the process of material approval prior to full engagement.

Many of the detailed questions below are more applicable once we are more familiar with your facility, but I will provide a top level description here as a first step in the process of getting our material approved.

Core material: PbS
associated other materials: Thiols (Mercaptans): Ethane Thiol, Ethane DiThiol, Benzene Thiol (may include other thiols in the future)
process chemicals: toluene, chloroform, acetonitrile, acetone, hexane

Incoming material:
The PbS would be in either powder or solution (toluene, chloroform, hexane, or other non-polar solvent).
Typically we would use about 50-100 ml of our material per day.

a rough process flow:
Our device involves spinning films of PbS onto a substrate (usually a Si wafer), doing some solution processing of the wafer with the thiols, depositing masking materials, etching the PbS film, and then depositing encapsulation materials.  Once the wafer is finished we may either die saw or test at wafer level.
We will be developing solvent systems and spin profiles to optimize our films.
We will be developing masking and etch processes
We will be developing encapsulation processes

Please provide as much information as you can about your chemical or material. It may very well be the first time anyone on the SpecMat committee has heard of this chemical/material, so it will be your responsibility to educate us. We also have a large archive of chemicals and materials that have been approved, so we may also be able to help you in selecting a chemical or process

 1.  Your contact information: Name, Coral login, phone number, email address and who you work for (your PI or company.)
 2.  The chemical or material. Please provide all common names, trade names, and CAS numbers where appropriate. Include an MSDS, if available; or provide the reason, if not. Make sure to include information for any new secondary chemicals (such as a developer for a new resist). Read the MSDSs as well as the Stanford Chemical Storage Groups<http://snf.stanford.edu/Materials/StorageGroup.html> and the Stanford Chemical Safety Data Base<http://ehs.stanford.edu/servlet/chemsafe.lookup.class> sections on this website to determine the Storage Group Identifier<http://snf.stanford.edu/Materials/StorageGroup.html> and Main Hazard Class<http://snf.stanford.edu/Materials/HazardClasses.html> of your chemical/material.
 3.  Vendor/manufacturer info: address and phone number, website URL.
 4.  Reason for request: Please give serious thought to this. If you have any process information (application notes from the vendor, protocol from another lab, experimental methods section of an article), please include it, preferably as attachments. Ask yourself these questions: Is this the latest procedure? Are there newer/safer alternatives that will also work for my project? Will any of the current SNF approved chemicals and materials work for me?
 5.  Process Flow: Please provide a detailed process flow description on how and where you proposed to use this chemical. This should include all Lab equipment<http://snf.stanford.edu/Equipment/EquipByArea.html> to be used for processing your wafers once your new chemical or material has been used (even if your new material is a film that is removed, it may still pose potential contamination concerns.) Make sure to include wet benches. Please note that f the chemical/material is to be used in any the "clean"<http://snf.stanford.edu/Materials/EquipmentLists/Clean.html> equipment, purity specifications will be needed. This is most important for chemicals/material that are not normally used for VLSI device fabrication. To be allowed into a "clean" tool<http://snf.stanford.edu/Materials/EquipmentLists/Clean.html>, the material should MOS grade or better.
 6.  Amount and form. How much will you bring in? Is it solid, powder<http://snf.stanford.edu/Materials/Powders.html> or liquid? (Note: as a general rule, powders<http://snf.stanford.edu/Materials/Powders.html> are not permitted in the cleanroom.) Do you need to mix it to use it?
 7.  Storage: Will you be storing your chemical/material at SNF? If so, please note any potential reactivities (this should be on the MSDS). Storage groups<http://snf.stanford.edu/Materials/StorageGroup.html> A,B,D and L are stored in the yellow solvent cabinet in the furnace support area, while storage groups<http://snf.stanford.edu/Materials/StorageGroup.html> C, E, F and G are stored on top of one of the Pass-through Carts. Ensure your chemical container or material is properly labeled<http://snf.stanford.edu/Materials/ChemLabels.html>. If there is no available room, it must be stored by in the bulk storage area. You will then need to obtain it from receiving area personnel each time you want to use it and return it to them when you are finished using it (or each time you leave the lab). Note that there is no storage of chemicals/materials in the processing lab or at any wet bench.
 8.  DIsposal: How will you dispose of any waste or excess chemical or material? In your discussions with experts and vendors, try to determine the best way to dispose of your spent chemicals and by-products. Please refer to the SNF Labmembers Safety Manual<http://snf.stanford.edu/Labmembers/Labmembers.html> for the different methods of waste disposal that are available in the lab.

Please get in touch about next steps.

Thanks,
Rick
Rick Clayton
VP Advanced Materials
InVisage Technologies
mail: 101 College St., South Tower, Rm 312, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5G 1L7
Office: 416 673 6520
mobile: 613 291 6578
email: rick.clayton at invisageinc.com<mailto:rick.clayton at invisageinc.com>
This email contains information that is confidential. The information is intended to be for the recipient named in the body of the message. If you are not the intended recipient please destroy this email and be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, kindly notify the sender of this email immediately.