[Fwd: FeCl3 In Clean Room?]

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 16 16:01:14 PDT 2008

Hi all --

I've just spoken with Kevin.  He's got premixed, concentrated FeCl3.  He
would like to bring in a small bottle and store it in the Chemicals
Passthrough.  He will be diluting it up and etching metals at
wbgeneral.  Here's an MSDS for FeCl3 solution.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/f1080.htm

It's a corrosive and the incompatibles are not likely to be encountered
in the Chemicals Passthrough.  I've asked that he yellow label his small
bottle and place it in a large container, also yellow labeled, and place
this container in the personal chemicals storage area of the Chemicals
Passthrough where there is individual secondary containment slots.  This
should prevent people from putting another small container in the same
secondary containment slot that may be incompatible.

This will be used only at wbgeneral and he will collect waste (used acid
and first three rinses) locally, in an appropriately labeled waste
container.

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to add?

Thanks --

mtang at stanford.edu