Request Use of Transcene SCE-200 NaOH based Si etchant

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 8 17:45:49 PDT 2008

Hi Jim --

Your chemical is approved, with certain restrictions on usage, because
it is both a corrosive and a flammable.

1.  This chemical is somewhat incompatible with storage policies for
standard chemicals.  Please label this chemical appropriately and store
in the chemicals passthrough in the lab.  The bottle should be stored in
one of the single bottle, secondary containment slots in the personal
chemicals storage area on the top level of the passthrough.  If the
bottle does not take up the entire storage chamber, place the bottle in
a secondary containment unit to ensure that no other small bottles may
be stored next to your bottle.  Once your experiments are complete, the
chemical must be disposed of.

2.  The chemical may be used at wbgaas or wbgeneral.  In either case,
make sure that you reserve the entire bench.  Also, make sure to place
yellow Hazard tape (available in the safety cart) across the front of
the bench.  Place a note on the bench to warn others against using the
bench.  Understand that oxidizers are not compatible with your chemical,
so we want to ensure against others sharing.

3.  Used etchant and first rinse should be collected as local waste,
labeled, and placed in the passthrough as hazardous waste.  Again, make
sure that it is not possible to put another bottle in the same secondary
containment chamber.

Mahnaz, Ed, Mary

mtang at stanford.edu