4160 SEM

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 23 15:02:49 PST 2008

All,

I had another question today regarding the
cleanliness category of the 4160 SEM.  It seems
to me, people may be putting in gold coated
samples and there is a fair likelihood of gold
contaminated samples are being imaged.  Should we
categorized the 4160 as a "litho" tool?

The following was taken from SNL's sample restriction for their Sirion SEM.

Restrictions on samples:

The sample material must be able to withstand a
high vacuum environment without outgassing. It
must be clean. It may be attached to the sample
holder using any suitable SEM vacuum-quality
adhesive. The sample must be electrically
grounded to the sample holder to minimize sample
charging. If the sample is nonconductive
(plastic, fiber, polymer, or other substance with
an electrical resistance greater than 1E10 ohms),
the sample may be coated with a 200 – 300 Å layer
of carbon or other conductor. Rough surfaced
samples must be evenly coated from every
direction. Biological, cloth and powder samples
may require carbon or other conductive painting
on portions of the sample that are hard to coat.
The workstation can accommodate up to 150 mm (6") wafers.

Ed