Oxide etching

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 8 09:06:49 PDT 2008

Hi Houbi --

I would suggest looking into HCl.  It's similar in many ways to HF and I
think has some etching effect on oxide, but I am not sure how much -- I
think it is quite slow.  But if you are only removing native oxide, then
time is less of a concern.  The nice thing about it is that it also is
pretty effective at decontaminating.  The normal prediffusion clean
includes a 5:1:1 water:H2O2:HCl dip -- I suspect the H2O2 might oxidize
the silicon surface, so an additional HCl dip without H2O2 might be in
order.

I would suggest checking in the literature -- there was a lot published
in the 60's-70's on various cleans (most notably by "Kern" of "Vossen
and Kern" fame published the definitive articles in the "RCA Review" in
1970 -- the library has bound copies.)  They investigated a lot of
different chemicals before deciding on the famous RCA clean.

If you do decide to change the clean, please submit a SpecMat request,
so we can ensure that your process is compatible with the wet bench and
furnace you will be using.

Thanks --

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu