Request for special material processing in SNF

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 6 10:30:31 PDT 2008

Hi Chandra --

I'd like to summarize our discussion, for the other SpecMat members.  If
I understood correctly:

1.  The specific SpecMat request you are submitting is to be able to
etch AlN as deposited on the AMS system at Berkeley in the Applied
Materials p5000etch here at SNF.  The p5000etch system metal etch
chamber is considered "semiclean" so materials etched here need to
demonstrate they have negligible amounts of heavy metal and alkali metal
CMOS contaminants.  The AMS is a reactive sputter system, so the main
concerns of contamination would probably be possible contaminants from
the chamber itself and cross-contamination from other materials processed.

2.  The HF vapor etch system is considered a "clean" system, so that
susbtrates containing metals are generally not allowed.  We will refer
your request for HF vapor etch of your metal-containing substrates to
Gary Yama, who is the expert on this system.  (Gary?)

3.  The process flow here is not the process you intend to use.  The
main change is that instead of Pt, using Ti adhesion layer and Al, both
deposited on gryphon, followed by etching in p5000etch (in case fellow
SpecMat'ers were concerned about the Pt and etching it.)

When we get a quorum of SpecMat members (Tuesday), we will get back to you.

mtang at stanford.edu