CVD of organosilicate glass films at SNF

Fri May 9 10:28:45 PDT 2008

Andrew,

Back around 1990 we had extra low pressure CVD tubes, and we tested at
least 3 different organosilicate precursors for silicon glass deposition.
See Lie-Yea Cheng's 1991 dissertation.  Since that time, the extra tubes
are long gone, and it has become much more difficult to test new
precursors in SNF. I think you would be more successful if you looked for
a research reactor outside of SNF.

	Jim

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Andrew Thiel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a materials science graduate student interested in depositing
> thin films of organosilicate glass films by means of CVD.  However,
> this goal is merely in the planning stages, so I am simply trying to
> extract all the fundamental information I need to get started.  I have
> never performed CVD, so bear with me.
>
> If you could provide me with all the essential information about
> setting up a new CVD process, that would be of great help to me.  I'll
> be supplying my own gases (the exact precursors are not yet known), so
> are there gas tank restrictions/suggestions?  Are any special tools or
> fixtures needed?  Are you currently set up to deposit
> carbon-containing films?  Are there special considerations for
> carbon-containing films?  What else do I need to know?
>
> Once I know more details, I will certainly fill you in.  I appreciate
> you taking the time to walk me through this process.
>
> Thank you,
> Andrew Thiel

Jim McVittie, Ph.D.    			Senior Research Scientist
Allen Center for Integrated Systems     Electrical Engineering
Stanford University             	jmcvittie at stanford.edu
Rm. 336, 330 Serra Mall			Fax: (650) 723-4659
Stanford, CA 94305-4075			Tel: (650) 725-3640