APTES

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Mon May 12 12:13:18 PDT 2008

Hi SpecMat'ers --

Before sending a reply to Johan, I thought I'd pass it by you.  Add your
comments/suggestions, please:

Hi Johan --

APTES is OK to use in the lab in very specific areas.

1.  Keep liquid out of the litho area.  This could cause problems with
surface quality in other people's wafers.
2.  Store the APTES in the flammables cabinet or flammables
refrigerator.  (Does is require rfrigeration?  I don't think it can
hurt, if tightly sealed.)  Make sure to have the barcode and yellow
label.  Be aware that APTES should be kept as dry as possible, which
includes minimizing the time the bottle is opened to air.  APTES will
hydrolyze in the presence of trace moisture.  So, if you refrigerate,
bring the bottle up to room temperature before opening, to minimize
condensation.
3.  Processing of your quartz should be done in wbsolvent.  If you are
not already qualified, please talk with Uli about getting
trained/qualified.  Work with her on your protocol.  I would suggest
obtaining, using, and storing your own glassware.  Clean your labware
first.  Trace chemicals can contaminate your wafer surfaces.
4.  We don't have a pH meter in the lab.  I'd suggest that actually pH
paper would be better (more accurate and allow you to keep probes out of
your solution), so you'd have to obtain paper with the appropriate
range.  (By the way, it is a misconception that you actually obtain a
monolayer -- it is actually quite difficult, I understand, to get a nice
monolayer of APTES.)
5.  On step 3C, do not use the singe oven to bake the APTES coated
wafer.  Please use one of the litho hot plates -- make sure to replace
the foil on top before and after your APTES wafers are heated.

I believe the rest of the procedure is OK.  However, I do think that
before committing your wafers to this process, it would be useful to do
some quick experiments.  One experiment would be to see how well the
i-line resist holds up to CHF3/O2 etching...  Typically, we have found
that the i-line resist etches more quickly than the standard 3612.  I am
not sure even the 3612 would stand up to 60 minutes of etching in the
amtetcher.  It might help also to have an idea of the etch rate of X-cut
quartz, so you'll know how long an etch the resist needs to withstand.

One last thing -- I would not do an HMDS singe/prime before coating your
wafers with resist.  This could mess up your APTES coating.  Without
HMDS, resist adhesion might be a problem.  (It may be that hand-develop
might be required, if your resist dots wash off in the svgdev.)

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu