Policy on nanotubes, nanowires, etc.

John Ross Jameson jameson at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 22 15:34:00 PDT 2008

Dear SpecMat,

I'd like to do some processing of carbon nanotubes and nanofibers
in SNF, and I've gotten different answers about what is allowed
and what isn't.  What I'd like to do is bring wafers into the fab
that have carbon nanotubes or nanofibers sitting horizontally on
the surface.  The nanotubes/fibers would only be held on by van der
Waal forces.  That is enough to keep them from blowing off, but
not enough to keep them from being rubbed off.  I'd like to do a
lift-off process to pattern metal on top of the nanotubes/fibers,
using either the ASML or EV aligner.  For the metal dep, I'd use
the innotec or metalica.  The lift-off could be done at SNF, or
elsewhere if necessary.

Would this process be OK to do in SNF?  Do I need to check back with
you if I decide to try another type of nanotube/wire?

Thank you,
John