Policy on nanotubes, nanowires, etc.

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 23 08:31:51 PDT 2008

Hi John --

Our policy on nanotubes has been that:

1.  Conducting and semiconducting nanoparticles and nanowires cannot be
spun in from solution inside the lab.  This is to prevent
cross-contamination of other people's work, since spin coating
aerosolizes the solution.  Ordinary latex nanoparticles are OK on the
headway, because they are non-conductive and can be dissolved like most
resists.  We have a rather crude spin coater outside the lab which is
available for spin coating of conductive materials.  There are some
nicer ones in CPIMA, MatSci and ME labs.

2.  Wafers with nanoparticles and nanowires adhered to them can
generally be processed as "gold-contaminated" substrates.  As you say,
van der Waals holds them down through most processing, including spin
coating with photoresist.  So, the processing you propose should be fine
for the most part.  The only question I have is with the ASML.  As you
know, the ASML system belongs to ASML, and they have the final word as
to what kind of materials are OK to process in their tool.  Ed -- have
nanotubes been OK'ed on the ASML?

Mary