material request - Stycast W 19 epoxy

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 2 08:20:56 PDT 2008

Hi Peter --

So, if I understand correctly, you'd like to glue your chips to a
silicon wafer with chip pockets and process through litho and lift-off?
A few questions:

1.  Mixing and applying your epoxy.  These are all liquids, correct?  Do
they require weighing or are they pre-measured?  We don't really have
the appropriate balance inside the cleanroom for this.  However, we do
have accurate balances outside the cleanroom (in the wafersaw/CMP
room.)  Would you be applying the epoxy from a syringe?  Since the stuff
appears to have a long working time, I'd suggest mixing outside the
cleanroom and bringing the syringe (appropriately labeled and enclosed
in something like a wafer box) into the cleanroom (through the service
aisle) and applying it in a solvent bench.  You could also mix inside
the lab in a solvent bench, but I have not yet ordered a replacement
balance as yet (though you are welcome to nag me about this).  If you
will be curing on a hot plate for several hours, please be careful to
use foil (and not occupy all the hot plates at once.)  The concern is
that the epoxy will be very difficult to remove if it gets on cassettes,
bench tops, or hot plates, so precautions should be taken to make sure
none gets on these.  If you want to store the unmixed chemicals in the
lab, please get the appropriate labels from Mahnaz or me.  The chemicals
should be stored in the personal Flammables area.  Any solid waste
should be bagged and placed in one of the Flammables solid waste
containers in the Litho area.

2.  Standard litho flow should be OK for contact alignment.  Hopefully,
your desired resolution isn't better than a couple of microns.  If this
is for ASML, please check first with Mahnaz, Ed, and the ASML engineers.

3.  PR lift-off in metalica should be OK.

4.  Polyimide lift-off for standard polyimides is not a process we're
familiar with.  Fully cured polyimide is allowed in the gryphon, but is
typically then very hard to remove by wet cleans.  Polyimide that is not
fully cured is not allowed in the gryphon because off gassing of
volatile organics could contaminate the system.  Polyimide, if I
remember correctly, is also not typically allowed on the laurell, but
only on the headway because it does not dissolve in acetone.  If you
really need polyimide in the gryphon, please provide more details (and
probably another SpecMat request.)

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu