Aluminum Nitride

Joey Doll jcdoll at stanford.edu
Sat Sep 20 21:06:44 PDT 2008

Thanks for the feedback re: the phosphoric acid etch, that would have been a
major issue. I just found a paper reporting that 25% TMAH at room
temperature etches aluminum nitride, so I will use that instead of the hot
phosphoric acid. Then I could use aluminum to mask the TMAH etch, unless I'm
lucky and room temperature TMAH doesn't attack photoresist like it does at
higher temperatures. Using oxide as a phosphoric acid etch mask would have
been tricky, because removing it afterwards with HF would have also attacked
my titanium underlayer. Anyways though, problem solved I hope.
I wasn't too concerned about etching metal-containing wafers on stsetch,
because that part of my process is identical to the piezoresistive
cantilever process used in the ME342/E341 class process and research
projects back to Beth Pruitt's graduate work, at least. I will be careful
about that step though. Mainly I wanted to ensure that my use of aluminum
nitride in the lab sounds good.

Thanks again,
Joey