New materials request

Elizabeth Ann Hager-Barnard lizhb at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 7 12:07:42 PDT 2009

To Whom It May Concern:
My name is Elizabeth Hager-Barnard and I am a 4th year Ph.D. student
in Nick Melosh’s group (Materials Science and Engineering).  I have
worked in SNF previously and I am now beginning a collaboration with
Fatih Sarioglu from Prof. Solgaard’s group.  Fatih has developed new
AFM techniques and my group plans to help him apply his techniques to
new systems.  We will be using the Agilent AFM in SNF.
The purpose of this e-mail is to request permission to bring new
materials into SNF to use with the AFM.  Specifically, I would like to
bring synthetic lipid molecules and cholesterol into SNF.  These
materials, as confirmed by the attached MSDS files, are non-
hazardous.  These materials will only be used on the AFM.  They will
not contact any other equipment in the lab.  We will not do any
processing of these materials in SNF.  Furthermore, we will neither
store nor dispose of these materials in SNF.
In the remainder of this e-mail I have responded to the questions
outlined in the SNF webpage, “Procedures for Bringing in New Chemicals
& Materials”.  If you have any further questions regarding this
request please let me know.

Thank you for your time,
Elizabeth Hager-Barnard

Your contact information:
             Name:                     Elizabeth Hager-Barnard
Coral login:      	lizhb
E-mail:                   	lizhb at stanford.edu
Phone number:      	650-796-9302
PI:                           	Nick Melosh (Materials Science and
Engineering)

The chemical or material:
             Synthetic lipid molecules: for example, SOPC
SOPC   (18:0-18:1 PC,  C44H86NO8P)
      2 alternative naming schemes:
           1-stearoyl-2-oleyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine      OR
           1-octadecanoyl-2-(9Z-octadecenoyl)-sn-glycero-3-
phosphocholine
Cholesterol: cholesterol derived from ovine wool
Saline solution: for example, 2% NaCl in water

Note: lipid molecules are amphiphilic molecules with hydrophilic
headgroups and hydrophobic tails.  The lipid molecules we would use
are synthetic and non-hazardous.

MSDS sheets for SOPC and cholesterol are attached to this e-mail.  All
the synthetic lipid molecules we would use have similar MSDS and are
all non-hazardous.

Vendor:          		    Avanti Polar Lipids
                                     700 Industrial Park Drive
                                     Alabaster, Alabama 35007-9105
                                     www.avantilipids.com
(800) 227-0651

We will not store our materials in SNF.  Synthetic lipid molecules and
cholesterol derived from ovine wool are not hazardous (they do not
have a hazard class).

Reason for request:
             We would like to bring these materials into SNF as part
of our colloboration with the Solgaard group.  We have used these
materials many times in a different AFM, but in order to use the new
techniques developed by the Solgaard group, we need to use them with
the SNF AFM.  No other approved SNF materials are similar to the ones
we are requesting.  Our materials are not hazardous.

Process Flow:
             We will only use our materials on the AFM.  We will not
do any processing of our materials in SNF.  We will simply place our
materials onto the AFM stage.

Amount and form:
             Our materials will not be in powder form when we bring
them into SNF.  In our lab in McCullough, we will form a sheet of
lipids and cholesterol on a glass slide, and put the glass slide in a
beaker with saline solution (NaCl in water).  I expect that the glass
slide will be about 25mm in diameter and the slide will be submerged
in approximately 5ml of saline solution.  We will cover the beaker
when bringing it into SNF.  While in SNF we will not do any processing
of our material, except to possibly pipette additional saline solution
over the glass slide if a significant fraction of the solution
evaporates.

Storage:
              We will not store our materials at SNF.

Disposal:

We will not dispose our materials in SNF.  We will remove our
materials from SNF and dispose of them in our own lab in McCullough.
We will clean the AFM head when we are finished.