Fwd: PECVD SiC on glass substrates at SNF

Thu Apr 16 18:07:18 PDT 2009

Hi,

I think we should d need to find what the glass composition is. Some
glasses are 10% Na. I think we should leave the door open for users who
want to do clear processing in the PECVD system since we only have one
PECVD system.

	Jim

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Ed Myers wrote:

> >Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 19:48:47 -0400
> >From: "Trott, Gary R" <TrottGR at corning.com>
> >Subject: PECVD SiC on glass substrates at SNF
> >To: SpecMat at snf.stanford.edu
> >Cc: Ed Myers <edmyers at stanford.edu>, Trottgr  <TrottGR at corning.com>
> >
> >Dear SpecMat group
> >
> >I would like to deposit STS PECVD SiC:H onto glass samples. It was
> >suggested I provide and overview of the process plan to the SpecMat
> >group to uncover any interactions or dependencies that would need to
> >be resolved before actually committing to the work. Here is the
> >information requested from the Web page.
> >
> >Once approved, I need to make arrangements for connecting a methane
> >cylinder(or equivalent carbon source) to the STS and be trained on
> >the specific tools.
> >STS PECVD and measurement tools.
> >
> >If you need more information, feel free to ask.
> >Regards
> >
> >  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
> >
> >Dr. Gary Trott
> >Corning West Technology Center
> >Corning Incorporated
> >1891 Page Mill Road, Suite 100
> >Palo Alto, CA  94304
> >Office: 650-846-6012
> >Cell: 408-500-5153
> >

> >1) Contact Info:
> >      Gary Trott, Corning Inc. 650-846-6012,
> > <mailto:trottgr at corning.com>trottgr at corning.com  PI=myself
> >      Coral login - TBD
> >
> >2) Materials to bring in
> >     Bare Substrates
> >           Si pieces for deposition set up (from SNF stockroom)
> >            and whole wafers if needed for stress measurements.
> >
> >            Glass substrates. From Corning Inc
> >                     Corning 0211, Standard Microscope slide
> > material, (4.6% Na in glass)
> >                     Corning EagleXG glass - alkali free
> >                     Corning fused silica - alkali free
> >                     Possibly external fused silica microscope
> > slides or wafers for comparisons
> >
> >           Notes:a) The glass substrates are different thicknesses
> > and affected by stress.
> >                        Not all are the same
> >                        The 0211 covers the most range. So it is the
> > most desirable.
> >
> >                     b) Standard microscope slides have 4.6% Na content.
> >                         A contamination source for Si IC
> >
> >                      c) the glass samples likely have external
> > particle contamination from
> >                          non-clean packaging and exposure to air
> > outside the cleanroom.
> >
> >                      d) the Si pieces can be cleaved in or out of
> > the clean room.
> >

> >3) Reason for request
> >         SiNx and SiO2 are not the proper material choices
> >         SiC has significantly different refractive index, and
> > chemical properties
> >         The substrate must be optically transparent. Fused silica
> > is ok for testing
> >          but is less interesting
> >
> >4) Process flow
> >SiC deposition on substrates in STS PECVD
> >           Equipment group = Gold Contaminated.
> >           Use standard 350C and deposition pressure
> >           Target thickness for testing = easy to measure = ~750A
> [...]

James (Jim) P. McVittie, Ph.D.	        Sr. Research Scientist
Paul G. Allen Building                  Electrical Engineering
Stanford Nanofabrication Facility       jmcvittie at stanford.edu
Stanford University             	Office: (650) 725-3640
Rm. 336X, 330 Serra Mall		Lab: (650) 721-6834
Stanford, CA 94305-4075			Fax: (650) 723-4659