ITO Coated Glass Slides

Dario Amodei damodei at Princeton.EDU
Wed Aug 12 00:52:56 PDT 2009

Dear SpecMat committee,

I would like to perform some processing on ITO coated glass slides.  I
checked the SNF materials guidelines and ITO has previously been used in
the lab, but I am supposed to check with SpecMat before using it.  The
details of the material and of my process are attached below.

1. Contact info: Dario Amodei, damodei, 415-505-5563, graduate student
at Princeton University, PI Michael Berry.
2. Material: 150 nm thin film of ITO on soda lime glass.
3. Vendor: Delta Technologies,  http://www.delta-technologies.com/,
651-439-5741.  Address: 13960 47th Street North Stillwater, MN
55082-1234, USA
4. I need to make some transparent multielectrode arrays for retinal
measurements (the size and density I want is not available
commercially).  ITO is the standard material for such arrays.
5. Process flow: The ITO-coated glass slides will be bonded to a silicon
wafer via photoresist (baked 1 hour).  The slides will then be coated in
photoresist (using svgcoat if possible, otherwise manual) and exposed in
the karlsuss mask aligner, developed, and then wet etched with HCl (or a
similar etchant).  The resist (or a mask layer, if this proves
necessary), will then be stripped in acetone at the lithosolvent hood.
A passivating layer of silicon nitride will then be deposited in the
sts.  Another layer of photolithography will take place in the karlsuss,
then vias will be etched in the nitride layer using SF6, in the drytek4
(the ITO will not be etched by the SF6).
6. Amount and form: I will be bringing in up to 20 slides of 2 inch x 2
inch x 180 um ITO-coated glass.
7. Storage: The box of slides will be stored in my cleanroom box.
8. Disposal: Old slides will be disposed of in the sharps box, ITO
etchants will be disposed of according to the standard procedures for
disposing of indium.

Please let me know if there is any other information you need.

Thanks,
Dario Amodei