HgCdTe or mercury cadmium telluride

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 4 13:26:50 PST 2009

Dmitry et al:

I think that we need to know a heck of a lot more about what you propose
to do with this stuff.  I've never worked with HgCdTe directly but had
some professional contact in my dim, dark past with people that were
using HgCdTe for IR detectors.  My recollection (which, admittedly, may
be bad ....) was that a photoresist bake at 90 deg C had to be taken
into consideration because of the potential volatility of Hg.  I seem to
recall that they also relied on ultra low temperature .... that is,
nearly room temperature, photo-activated deposition processes because
300 degree PECVD was too hot.

So we need to know specifically what you think you need to do because we
simply don't have the resources (personnel or equipment) to generate a
subset of tools that are potentially mercury contaminated.

Jim McVittie is out this week but, as I recall, in his dim, dark past he
used to work with a number of exotic II-VI materials and may be able to
shed more light on this matter.  I don't expect that he will be in,
however, until the first of next week.

Thanks,

John