Specmat Request

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 13 11:44:27 PST 2009

Hi Mikes --

Actually, we have never (as far as I know) approved liquid bromine in
the lab.  The TWA exposure limit on this is 0.1 ppm.  Compare to
chlorobenzene which is 10 ppm.  Or HBr, which is 3 ppm.

We've approved HBr solutions as you describe and, in fact, have some
detailed protocols for this.  But I don't believe I've ever seen Br2 in
our lab.  I understand it's commonly used as an etchant for certain
semiconductor films.   But also have heard some horror stories.  I think
just about any of the old-time GaAs researchers will have bromine
story.  See the attached.  We did approve dilute HBr solutions for use
at the wbgaas station with alcohols, but under very specific conditions
(controlled pH, which I understand is key to keeping things under control.)

I am honestly not sure we could accommodate handling of liquid bromine
-- not unless we can come up with a really safe way of doing this.  My
feeling is that this should be done in a proper fume hood (with
explosion sashes and indescructible/inflammable work surfaces), not the
wet benches we have at SNF.

But I tend to be conservative on chemical handling.  Other SpecMat'ers
-- especially those with more experience with this -- what do you think?

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu