use of cyclohexanol at snf

Mary Tang mtang at
Thu Jan 15 15:28:07 PST 2009

Hi all --

What do you think of this SpecMat request?  I'm following with a
question about application notes (it looks like that's about the
solubility limit of cyclohexanol in water -- don't know about heated
KOH) and volumes (constant temperature bath?  beaker on a hot plate?)

Cyclohexanol is solvent and contact with oxidizers should be avoided --
however, given the low concentration, I think this would be OK to use at
wbgeneral, with the following conditions:

1.  No one else may use the bench while this this process is being
done.  Bench should be completely reserved, and then blocked off and a
sign posted during processing.

2.  Immediately after pouring cyclohexanol, the bottle should be removed
from the bench and returned to storage.

What do you all think?

Wu Junjun wrote:
>    1.  Your contact information: Junjun Wu; Coral login: junjun;
> phone: 408-759-1426.
>    2. The chemical or material. Cyclohexanol; CAS # 108-93-0. Here is
> a link to the MSDS .
>    3. Vendor/manufacturer info. Sigma-Aldrich; Phone:
> 800-325-3010; Sigma-Aldrich
> Customer Service, PO Box 14508, St. Louis, MO 63178, UNITED STATES
>    4. Reason for request: to make 2% KOH + 5% cyclohexanol etching
> solution.
>    5. Process Flow: 2%KOH and 5% cyclohexanol solution will be mixed
> and heated to 90C; Si wafers will etched for different times to find
> out the etch rate and surface quality.
>    6. Amount and form. How much will you bring in? Is it solid, powder
> or liquid? (Note: as a general rule, powders are not permitted in the
> cleanroom.) Do you need to mix it to use it? 1L bottle will be
> brought. It is in liquid form. I need to mix it with KOH solution to
> use it.
>    7. Storage: Will you be storing your chemical/material at SNF? Yes.
> It will be stored in the flammable cabinet.
>    8. DIsposal: How will you dispose of any waste or excess chemical
> or material? It will be disposed with KOH in the general acid/base
> drain, unless otherwise required by SNF.
> Thanks,
> Junjun Wu
> Twin Creeks Technologies
> (cell) 408 - 759 -1426