[SpecMat Approval Request] Succinic Acid

Saeroonter Oh sroonter at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 10 17:45:21 PDT 2009

Dear SpecMat committee:

I am submitting a new chemical request form.

File Attachments:
1. Request document (same as this email) also in .doc
2. MSDS in .pdf
3. Process flow and etch chemistry in .ppt

1. Contact Information

Name: Saeroonter Oh
Coral: sroonter
Phone: 650-353-1266
Email: sroonter at stanford.edu
PI: Prof. H.-S. Philip Wong

2. The Chemical

* MSDS from Vendor attached to this email (pdf file)

Name: Succinic acid
Synonyms: Amber acid, Butanedioic acid, Ethylenesuccinic acid
CAS: 110-15-6

Storage: D - Compatible Organic Acids, Flammables, and Poisons
Hazards: 6. Flammables, 19. Acid, 28. Skin Irritant

3. Vendor Info

Fisher Stores
Address: 337 Campus Drive, Lokey Bldg Rm#168, Stanford, CA 94305
Phone: 650-723-1278
Website: http://www.fishersci.com

4. Reason for request

I will be using this in the CISX111 lab and the cleanroom.
It is to selectively wet etch InGaAs from AlInAs.
It has sufficient selectivity needed for etch.

Recipe: Succinic acid:Hydrogen Peroxide = 5:1 with pH=5 (controlled by Ammonium Hydroxide)
(Etch process in attached ppt file)
We have contacted another group at MIT that uses this same recipe.

5. Process Flow

It is III-V processing. Only gold-contaminated tools will be used.

* Process flow attached to this email (ppt file).

6. Amount and form

Amount: 500g
Form: Crystalline form

* The solution mixing will be done in the CISX 111 lab, not the cleanroom.
The crystalline form Succinic Acid will not be taken into the cleanroom.

7. Storage

Storage: D - Compatible Organic Acids, Flammables, and Poisons
D is stored in the yellow solvent cabinet.

8. Disposal

Dispose: Acid disposal (dispose in acid drain at wbgaas)

Best regards,
Saeroonter