[SpecMat Approval Request] Succinic Acid

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 10 22:33:46 PDT 2009

Hi Saeroonter --

In my opinion, your SpecMat request is OK, with the following provisions:

1.  I am not familiar with this etch, but the MSDS for succinic acid
indicates that it should be kept away from strong oxidizers (hydrogen
peroxide is a strong oxidizer) and strong bases (ammonium hydroxide is
pretty strong.)  It is also not very soluble in water.  I take it that
your are consulting with your MIT contacts about the details of the
mixing process -- and that you'll be bringing in thoroughly premixed
solution.

2.  Do not store unused, mixed chemical at SNF.  It's generally not a
good idea to keep hydrogen peroxide mixtures around.  Particularly if
they are mixed with chemicals that are not considered very compatible.
Please aspirate unused chemical.

3.  Used etchant (and first rinses) should be locally collected in a
chemically compatible waste container, tagged as hazardous waste, and
places in the chemicals passthrough for pickup.  Do not aspirate or put
used etchant down the drain because it will contain the metals you've
just etched.

Mary