wbgen2 TMAH Bath

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 20 16:05:56 PDT 2009

Hi Raja, Gaurav --

Sorry for the delay.  Your request to use the Lufran TMAH etch bath at
wbgen2 for PRS-1000 resist clean of Ge substrates is hereby OK'ed.

- The bath has previously been used, but for only for TMAH (no KOH) on
non-gold-containing substrates, so gold and potassium should not be a
concern.  However, please decontaminate using 5:1:1 Water: 30% hydrogen
peroxide: Conc. HCl before your use.  The tank has a drain to AWN, so
you should be OK. The bath heater is mounted below a perforated teflon
plate.  There's a lot of surface area, so you should rinse a bit better
than you would normally on a regular quartz bath.

- You should rinse the bath with a little PRS-1000 a few times before
using.  Any residual water in the bath will not be good for the PRS-1000.

- As mentioned, the bath heater is below perforated teflon plate.  The
thermocouple tip is just about an inch or two above the plate.  We want
to make sure there's adequate thermal mixing, which will be more impeded
(with the teflon plate) than in a regular quartz bath.  This can be done
with the N2 sparger (flow a little N2 which bubbles up through the
plate) but I'm not sure what this may do to Ge.  You can also make sure
to mix by dunking the cassette at regular intervals to ensure mixing.
Jim 's suggestion (which is a very good one) is to turn the sparger on
while the system is heating (to ensure mixing) and turn it off when you
dunk your cassette, making sure to lift the cassette in and our every
couple of minutes to ensure good mixing.  Turn the heater off when
you're done.

I've got Jim's manuals at my desk, if you are interested in looking at
the controller operating procedures -- but it seems pretty
straightforward.  If there is trouble with the temperature stabilizing,
there are PID settings which you should use.

Let me know how things go --

mtang at stanford.edu