Iodic Acid

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 17 09:52:48 PDT 2009

Hi Mike, Senyo --

Thanks for the reminder...  Just a couple of things.

1.  Powders (including crystals -- as well as free nanoparticles and
nanotubes) aren't allowed in the cleanroom.  It's just too difficult to
handle powders (dispensing, weighing, mixing) when there's laminar flow
and exhaust blasting in different directions.  You can, however, mix
solutions from powders outside the cleanroom, in the wafersaw room, and
bring them in, either through the chemicals passthrough (get a staff
member to help you with access) or using a single bottle carrier through
the service area in the back.  Alternatively, if you can find a source
of pre-mixed solution, you won't have to mix it up yourself.

2.  Can you store the solution for an appreciable time or does it have
to be mixed up just before use?  If you store the bottle of solution, it
should be kept in the chemicals passthrough.  Make sure to get a yellow
label.  I take it that a brown bottle should be sufficient for excluding
light -- if you decide to also wrap it in foil or other covering, make
sure to label the outside of the foil with all the critical info as well.

3.  Crystals should be stored outside the lab.  We have a corrosives
room where this can be stored.  However, you'll need staff help to
access the vault, so this will limit availability to working hours.

4.  How will you be disposing of the waste?  If you are etching III-V's,
then etchant waste should be collected locally and appropriately
tagged.  The unused acid itself, I believe, can disposed of by
aspirating at the bench.

5.  Could you write up a procedure for this (like what you have below,
but with the where's and how's)?

mtang at stanford.edu