SpecMat's Consideration for Spin-On-Glass Material

James Kim james.kim at sundiode.com
Thu Oct 1 16:32:58 PDT 2009

Hello, I submit this request for specmat committee's approval.  Please let
me know if anything else is needed.  Thank you.

Coral Login: jameskim

Phone no.:408-234-6562

Email: jameskim at snf.stanford.edu or james.kim at sundiode.com

Company: Sundiode, Inc.

Material: Accuglass T-12B (512B) Spin-On-Glass  (MSDS attached)

Manufacturer: Honeywell Electronic Materials  3500 Garret Drive, Santa
Clara, CA  95054

Reason for Request: I am developing a procedure to utilize the substance as
a planarizing agent on compound-semiconductor devices we are building.  I
will use it to coat a wafer (2 inch) under various conditions.  Later on, I
will also develop a procedure to etch down on the glass material in
controlled manner to reveal certain features on the wafer.

Process flow:  Initially, I will simply use the headway spin coater to coat
various wafers under various conditions, cure, and then examine the wafers
using SEM.  Later on, controlled etching to etch a specific amount of
material to reveal parts of the semiconductor on the wafer  will be
developed, requiring the use of wet bench (contaminated) for wet etching.
The etched structures will be examined using SEM.  Subsequently, metal
deposition (Al) is planned on the spin-coated, cured, etched wafer sample.

Amount: I would like to bring 2 bottles, each with 125mL.

Storage: They need to be refrigerated at 0-4C.  The bottles are clearly
labeled with original manufacturer's lables.

Disposal of excess: The bulk of the material is solvent: ethanol, isopropyl
alcohol and smaller amount of acetone. Non-solvent material is

Methyl siloxane polymer.  Excess (during spin coating for example) will be
treated as flammable and disposed of in the same way photoresist is disposed
of.  All of the material will be used in the next 6 months.

James C. Kim, Ph.D.

CEO, Sundiode, Inc.

1398 Borregas Ave., Sunnyvale, CA  94089

Electronic  <mailto:james.kim at sundiode.com> james.kim at sundiode.com

Company +1.408.400.9182  Mobile +1.408.234.6562  Fax +1.408.624.9332