using mercury dibromofluorescein disodium salt in SNF...

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 8 13:56:09 PDT 2009

Hi Robert --

Unless others see a problem with this, I believe this is OK to use, with
the following provisions:

1.  First, make sure to obtain the yellow label and barcode for this.
Contact Ed, Mahnaz, or me to register the bottle(s).

2.  Solid powders and crystals are not allowed in the lab.  You can
dissolve the crystals in DI in the Wafersaw room.  Then, you can bring
the solution into the lab through the chemical passthrough or service
areas using appropriate secondary containment.  (If you are unsure of
the procedure, please contact Uli or me.)

3.  For storing at SNF, please make arrangements to have the solid
stored in the Flammables room (contact staff for access) and the
solution in the personal chemicals area of the Flammables cabinet.

4.  Waste solution and the first three rinses should be collected
locally and labeled as hazardous waste.  (Mercury has very bad
environmental consequences -- DO NOT aspirate or dump waste into the sinks.)

5.  I know wbgeneral is more convenient because it's got water, but as
this stuff is incompatible with oxidizers, it should be treated as a
flammable.  So, wbsolvent would be a better location for this.  In my
opinion, if you're using a small amount (like <100 ml) and low
concentration (<few percent) then wbgeneral is OK; otherwise, wbsolvent
should be used.  I will, however, defer to Uli on this.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu