Exhausted solvent sink access

Trott, Gary R TrottGR at corning.com
Mon Sep 28 16:48:01 PDT 2009

Dear Ed and SpecMat group.

I would like to inquire about usage of an exhausted solvent bench for
doing some, wafer bond preparation using a temporary bond, polyimide
like process on glass substrates. Preferably it would be outside the
cleanroom. The process is not sensitive to particles. I do need a
chemically safe place to work with polymers and polymer solvent. Please
let me know if there are options to implement this at the Stanford
Nanofab Facility.

If you need more information, please ask.
Warm Regards

Dr. Gary Trott
  Corning West Technology Center
  Corning Incorporated
     1891 Page Mill Road, Suite 100
     Palo Alto, CA  94304
     Office: 650-846-6012
     Cell: 408-500-5153

1) Contact Info:
     Gary Trott, Corning Inc. 650-846-6012, trottgr at corning.com
<mailto:trottgr at corning.com>   PI=myself
     Coral login - trottgr

2) Materials to bring in
    Glass Substrates
           Glass substrates. From Corning Inc
                    Corning  glass,  (4.6% Na in glass)
                    Various large sizes up to 400mm x 500mm

   Process Material (MSDS sheets attached)
            Waferbond - temporary wafer bonding polymer material from
Brewer Science
            Waferbond solvent - A solvent for removing the waferbond
polymer (Dodecene)

    Very large hot plate ~ 400mm x 500mm
     Al foil to protect surfaces for easy clean up

3) Reason for request
        We need a chemically safe location to apply the waferbond
material to
        a glass substrate.

4) Process flow

        In a chemically exhausted hood.
       1) Apply the wafer bond material to the glass substrate and/or
the device wafer
           (another piece of glass to be temporarily bonded)
           For large substrates spinning is not an option. So
           a) Paint the waferbond onto the combined pieces of glass
around the edges
               or
           b) Use a paint sprayer and spray the waferbond onto the
carrier

        2) Evaporate, and dry the solvent out of the waferbond polymer
by heating
            on a hot plate to 160C for 5min.

        3) Remove glass,  clean up, and return all to Corning

        4) Clean up will create some waste streams of
             a) Used dodecene solvent
             b) IPA used for final clean
             c) cleanroom disposable towels with solvent
             d) possibly Al foil with waferbond on it.
             All could be put in waste bottle and taken back to Corning.

5) Amount and form:
          1 liter of waferbond polymer
          1 gal of waferbond solvent
           several pieces of glass of various sizes

6) Storage
     Waferbond polymer and waferbond solvent for the days of active
experiments

7) Disposal
     - Take all substrates pieces with waferbond back to Corning.
     - used dodecene solvent and cleanroom wipes transport back to
Corning.